Thinking of going tiny? Great, welcome to the tiny house movement! But, before you continue on this exciting endeavor of tiny living, there’s an important question to ask yourself – will the tiny home be RVIA or CSA certified? Having one of these certifications can make the tiny home buying process much easier, now and in the long run.

Let’s go over a few things before we jump into why these certifications are important to have. First, what exactly are the RVIA and CSA? RVIA and CSA stand for “Recreational Vehicle Industry Association” and “Canadian Standards Association,” respectively. These groups monitor and ensure that the services for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, gas, and more are compliant to safety standards. Second, what’s the difference between them and should I have both? The RVIA and CSA are similar in that they require builders to adhere to certain standards. However, the CSA requires builders to use licensed tradespeople for electrical, plumbing, and propane. As well, there are more frequent compliance tests for those services. It is not necessary to have both, as we do, but because this is a large and significant purchase for people, it was important for us at ZeroSquared to meet the highest standards in order to provide the best product. With our selection of high quality products and materials, we wanted to continue that throughout the fabrication and construction process. You can trust that the Aurora is created through a superior build process with premium products, giving you a first-rate tiny home.

Okay, so let’s jump into why this can benefit you and your tiny house/life/adventure/etc.

SAFETY: At ZeroSquared, one of the most important things to us as a tiny home builder is safety. We are building your home, the place you’ll live in for, hopefully, a long time, and it is vital that everything is done correctly. As mentioned above, the RVIA and CSA set specific standards when it comes to electrical, gas, plumbing, and more to ensure that your home will be safe for living and is appropriately equipped should any emergency occur.

FINANCING: Although tiny homes typically carry a significantly smaller price tag than a big home, they still can cost a large sum of money which can require some type of financing, depending on your financial situation. Because of our RVIA certification, we can be classified as an RV which allows you to secure an RV loan. Financing a vehicular asset is typically an easier process than trying to secure financing for a tiny house.

INSURING: Securing homeowners insurance for a tiny home can prove to be quite challenging. However, being certified as an “RV” builder comes with yet another advantage – mainstream insurance companies will typically cover the unit!

PARKING: As the tiny home market continues to grow, cities are adapting their ordinances to allow this type of dwelling unit. But, your desired area still may present some difficulties. This is where RVIA and CSA certifications come in handy yet again. Because our homes adhere to these standards, most RV parks will allow you to park your home there, which could be a great interim or long term option for you!

RESELLING: So maybe down the line, you’ll decided to sell your tiny home. *sigh* Having RVIA and CSA certification may make your home easier to sell, and it could make your home more valuable. These certifications are an added feature that can provide peace-of-mind to potential buyers.


If you’re ready to own a certified tiny home, check out the Aurora and contact us for more information!